Kitchen reno dreams

Hellooo!
Well, Quinn had her first trip (of hopefully not many) to the ER last weekend.  It was one of those freak playground accidents (a playground that she's frequented before).  A slip, a fall, full impact to her mouth on a platform, blood everywhere, upper front teeth gouged a hole thru her lower lip.  As I tried to stem the bleeding, I don't know what I struggled harder with....trying not to cry because she was so scared/in pain or trying not to pass out at the sight of the fleshy wound in her lower lip.

(To think I was pre-med as a freshman in college.)

Thankfully, my sister-in-law ran to get the Mr. who was nearby & we drove to the ER that was literally 3 minutes away.  We could not have had a nicer paramedic & doctor tending to Quinnie.  Their bedside manner & medical expertise were incredible; they went above & beyond in comforting her (& mommy) in a traumatic situation.  The Mr. & the very patient paramedic even had a stimulating discussion about the overuse of antibiotics ;-)  Two stitches, a bruised cheek, a scraped chin, & terribly swollen lips later.....our girl is healing well.  We knew she's a brave one but wow did she bring tears to our eyes.

So.  In other news, I need to snap pics of Quinn's room updates to share.  It won't be perfectly styled by today's blogging standards (if that's an expectation, are you lost, what are you doing here ;-) but it's a whimsical, happy space that makes us smile.  

Meanwhile, I've been dreaming about kitchens.  A kitchen renovation is at least 2 years down the road (when there'll be flying cars maybe & hopefully not a President Trump), but a girl can dream to distract herself from mouth wounds & stitches amIright?  These are the elements that I/we/mostly I have lusted after for the past few years......
BIG windows above the sink, please.
“More often than not, a kitchen is the heart of a home,” says the designer. “It should be warm, welcoming, comfortable, and have some room to grow (even if you don’t plan on growing!). A...
via

2015 Southern Living Idea House designed by Bunny Williams in Charlottesville, Virginia
via

via

kitchen2
via


Those brass task lamps!  No upper cabinets! Open shelving!  Large windows!  A prep sink!
 The ample storage provided by that tall pantry on the left!
It's practically every element my kitchen dreams are made of.
Bravo Carrie & Chris!! (Insert applause emoji here.)
via

I'm a fan of no upper cabinets, white lower cabinets, & open shelving.  Most people around here think I'm crazy for it, but we've lived with small kitchens with very little upper storage (very little storage in general) for years.  It has forced us to pare down in the best possible way, plus I love the visual openness of these kitchens.  And other storage options will be incorporated (like open shelving or a pantry or hutch unit).

To remedy the lack of upper cabinets, would love to incorporate a storage piece like this hutch........

........sort of like this.  Also, a reclaimed or rustic island to break up all the white cabinets!
via

Or like this:
Transitional - Kitchen

The lived-in, bistro look of these open shelving situations:
2a30168705ef8b6ff05e3cc1674ca5d7
via

Plus those pretty drawer pulls:
via

Stainless steel single basin, apron front sink:
stainless steel apron sink!:
source unknown

q farmhouse sink stainless steel or cast iron, home decor, kitchen design, Stainless steel
via

A stove with stainless steel backsplash with shelf, oh yes:
White Plank Backsplash
via

Beadboard Island
via

via

OK, I'll settle for a marble shelf:
via

I like big, riveted hoods & I cannot lie.....
(Check out how my lovely blog friend Pam DIY'd the look!)
via

Design Manifest Kitchen with black and brass hood and industrial range
via

Beautiful vintage brass faucet that would obliterate our kitchen reno budget:
via


Hmmm.  I should have married rich.  Kidding.  Sort of.
(At this point, the Mr. asks innocently "Who's this Rich guy?")
Hope your weekend is fun & free of ER visits ;-)

11 comments:

  1. Poor Quinn!!! And, Mommy! I'm so glad everything is ok! I sometimes play scenarios out in my head like, what would I do if x,y,z happened? How would I handle it? What should the appropriate steps be? But I'm pretty sure I would freak out in said situation. Ok, so the kitchen images? Yeeeeeesssss. Love every. Single. One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, S! I do the same thing! It makes me less anxious if I know I have a plan for x,y,z. Like broken bones or concussions but THIS. What the?! I was not prepared & was completely shell-shocked. And I was too shaken up to even drink wine that night. That's when you know it's bad.

      When it comes time for our kitchen reno, I'm going to drive our contractor crazy. And R of course, but he's more used to it & besides no one forced him to marry me so he did it to himself ;-)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that Quinn is healing up well. What a scary situation for everyone!

    Love your kitchen inspiration photos. I don't know if I could commit to open shelving but I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about Quinn's playground accident. I can so relate!! Elie's mouth, particularly bottom lip was a MESS after the air bag hit her in the face during her car accident last spring. Just be sure to keep an eye on her teeth. Katie fell with a paci in her mouth at 18 months and we had to pull the tooth just before her 5 birthday. She thought it was cool, mom and dad, not so much!!!
    Oh, and you were in good company. Spent the night in the ER with our oldest last night. She will be fine, but we are running on very little shut eye at the moment. Add last week's time change and not a good combo!!
    Love all the kitchen inspiration pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Quinn! M had her first ER visit almost 2 weeks ago. 2 stitches for going over the handlebars on her scooter. It was definitely worse for me than it was for her! Your kitchen will be beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have freaked out, thank goodness she's a ok!!

    And, I honestly love your current kitchen, but I'm excited about your reno and what's to come your inspiration is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor Quinnie! I'm sure you held strong for her, mama. I would have been a puddle. Hope your brave girl is healing well.

    Love all of these kitchen ideas. And I miss Hazardous Design :( Glad to see you're still around, friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Who's this Rich guy?" I'm cracking up.

    Love all your inspiration. I wish I could fly you hear and have you help me make all the finishing decisions in our kitchen. I have all the basic stuff picked out, but hardware, hood, lights ... those things just make me feel bored. I know that's exactly what I need to find but it seems like work I don't want to do. You know, I'm doing important things like napping.

    Anyhow, I"m totally scouring your inspiration photos - I love them all. I'm most looking forward to the 6 feet of windows in our kitchen above our giant sink. And the pantry. And the PULL OUT TRASH CAN. I could just die happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad our Quinnie, er, I mean your Quinn is healing well!! 😊 I love all of your ideas for your kitchen. I hope they are realized real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor poor baby girl! And poor mama & papa!! Are you experiencing PTSD? I told my kids I am DONE with ER visits, thankyouverymuch. We've had too many of them thanks to three wild and crazy kids. I swear it is worse for the parents than the kid! Okay lets talk your kitchen dreaming. I think we were separated at birth. You are my kitchen soul sister. I even have a pin board dedicated just to stand alone dish cabinets. Can you please move up your kitchen reno timeline so I can live all my dreaming out through you? Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I missed this post, but goodness, these kiddos know how to make us nervous! I am SO GLAD she is ok and that she is/was on the mend.

    Loving the kitchen ideas, dear. Can't wait to see what you guys choose. I'll be along for the ride two months or two decades from now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~