Smoothies & such

I'm realizing that the older I get, the more mindful I have to be about the things I eat.  I think fondly of yesteryear when nachos at midnight were no biggie & energy wasn't an issue.  Years ago, we got into the habit of eating clean & eliminating processed foods....I'd say we stick to it about 85% of the time because you know, social stuff, restaurants, vacations, wine.  

Did someone say wine, who has wine, why do you totally have some wine?!  Asking for a friend.

These days I feel like the Cryptkeeper if I don't make an effort to eat mindfully.  And when I fail miserably (around the holidays, on especially social weekends, etc) I like to hit the proverbial reset button on wellness with foritfying smoothies that also have detoxifying benefits.  I'll be honest; these don't taste like dessert like some of the smoothies out there.  But they're still tasty & they're good for you.  So....I've earned that whole loaf of garlic bread that I built our spaghetti dinner around (Get your own loaf, family) because it's all about balance amIright 😍 

Anycarbohydrates, back to smoothies!  These are my go-to smoothies, plus an acai bowl (aka smoothie in a bowl) for replenishing energy & just setting the tone for the day:

Spinach, Pear, & Ginger Smoothie

1 & 1/2 cups water  (or coconut milk)

2 cups organic baby spinach

1 ripe pear, seeded and chopped

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp freshly grated ginger

1 tbsp ground flaxseed

Honey to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth. 

(recipe courtesy of  The Kitchn)


Kale, Pineapple, & Banana Smoothie

1/2 cup coconut milk

2 cups organic baby kale or spinach

1 (heaping) cup fresh pineapple, chopped 

1 ripe banana, sliced

1 tbsp ground flaxseed

Combine all ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth.  

Add a bit of water as necessary for desired consistency.

(recipe adapted from Real Simple)


Acai Berry Bowl

1 packet of frozen organic acai smoothie blend (I like the Sambazon brand from Costco)

1/4 cup coconut milk (or milk product/milk substitute of choice)

1 tbsp chia seeds

organic berries and/or sliced fruit

sprinkle of granola

Hold frozen acai packet under warm running water for about 10 seconds to thaw.  

Blend acai mix with milk.  Place in bowl.  

Top with chia seeds, fruit, & granola.



Thanks for dropping by, friends!
HAPPY SUMMER!

2 comments:

  1. They all sound tasty! I'm going to have to look for that Acai smoothie at Costco, I'm not sure ours carries it. Definitely going to start our morning tomorrow with a delicious smoothie! We have a party in the evening, so that will help balance the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such a love/hate relationship with our Costco aghhhh! Hope your party was fun! Thanks so much for dropping by, gal, it's SO good to "see" you again :-)

      Delete

Let's get weird up in here.
xoxo
~Freckles Chick~